Every day, our Ride Connection volunteers make a huge difference in our community. Moreover, our volunteers report the most valuable benefit they receive from volunteering is a sense of connection - to our customers, to one another, and to the community at large.
We invite you to join us and share your skills and talents. See below for some of the exciting volunteer opportunities we offer. Then click here to get started by filling out our volunteer questionnaire.
Volunteer Receptionist Assistant
Welcome customers, community partners and guests in person and on the telephone as Ride Connection’s front line meet and greeter at its new facility at 9955 NE Glisan Street Monday through Friday daytime hours.Great opportunity to learn, be of service and have a five star experience! Call 503.528.1738 or email email@example.com for more information!
Drive your own vehicle or one of our vehicles. By volunteering to drive, you give the gift of mobility to an older adult or person with a disability. You will provide door-to-door transportation with flexible hours on a schedule that works for you.
Have limited time to help out? Volunteer to drive!!
Ride Connection has created several different volunteer positions focused on driving such as the following options:
- One-Way Driver - drive one-way when you have limited time to volunteer such as on your lunch hour.
- On-Call Driver - provide on-call transportation services to take customers who have newly scheduled or emergency medical/dental appointments or for other immediate life-sustaining appointments.
- Drive a Hero- provide transportation to both veterans and their spouses who are unable to drive and access public transportation for various needs, often for life-sustaining purposes within both Multnomah and Washington Counties in the Portland metro area.
- Ride Connection East Multnomah County U-Ride Driver - provide necessary transportation services throughout the tri-county area to older adults and people with disabilities who reside in East Multnomah County.
- Four Wheel Drive Vehicle Driver - support the life sustaining needs of older adults and people with disabilities by taking individuals to scheduled appointments, going to grocery stores and/or pharmacies during major storms, natural disasters or times of emergency.
- Special Event Driver - drive for special events such as Holiday Lights and weekend field trips. You can schedule this volunteer opportunity in advance.
- Fleet Maintenance Pool - drive a vehicle for required service appointments. Flexible schedules are available.
Requirements for Ride Connection drivers include:
- Submit a volunteer questionnaire.
- Good driving record (DMV check is required) and valid driver’s license with minimum of five years’ licensed driving experience
- Criminal background check
- Patience and flexibility
- Approximately 1/2 day per week is requested
- Training which includes a vehicle orientation and road test, passenger assistance class, and defensive driving class.
East Multnomah County Four Wheel Drive Vehicle Driver
Put your four-wheel drive vehicle to work during times of emergencies by providing life-sustaining transportation for older adults and people with disabilities. This emergency service is provided during major storms, natural disasters and other times of emergency to individuals in need of food and prescription drugs. Contact Leslie Garth by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at
503.988.3840 x29981 for more information.
Ride along with our volunteer drivers and provide assistance to our customers if needed. Common needs include assistance getting in and out of our vehicles and occasional help with grocery bags.
Volunteer to show new riders how to become more independent using public transportation. Join a group of people who are interested in mobility and independence for older adults and people with disabilities. Requirements for Ride Ambassadors include:
- Experience in riding bus and light rail
- Completed volunteer application and three references
- Interview with a RideWise staff member
- Criminal background check with fingerprinting
- Six hours of training provided by Ride Connection
Ride Connection Office Volunteers
Volunteer in our fun, fast-paced office! Help with mailings, assist with data entry, help out with development and advocacy initiatives, or lend a hand with a special project. Office hours are 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Interns & Students
We welcome interns, practicum students and individuals involved with service learning. Prospective volunteers meet individually with our Community Outreach Specialist to determine the best placement. We are the perfect place for your student learning experience!
Interested in one or more of these positions?
Click here to get started by filling out our volunteer questionnaire.